- Dish type
A creamy shellfish chowder that is utterly delicious. If you can't find conch, you could use whelks or clams instead.
16 people made this
- 450g conch meat
- 50g margarine, divided
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 100g fresh sweetcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 litre single cream
- 1 (400g) tin coconut milk
- 500ml fish stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr5min
- Place conch meat in a pot with enough water to cover, and bring to the boil. Cook 15 minutes. Drain, and finely chop in a food processor.
- Melt 1/2 of the margarine in a frying pan over medium heat, and mix in the spring onions, carrot, celery, sweet potato, red pepper and sweetcorn. Cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining margarine in a large pot, and whisk in the flour to create a roux. Pour in the cream, coconut milk and fish stock. Mix in the ginger, and season with salt and pepper. Stir the conch and vegetables into the pot. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Mix in the hot sauce and coriander. Continue cooking 15 minutes, or to desired consistency.
Conch can be found in some Caribbean markets.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(27)
Reviews in English (22)
I've been a member of All Recipes for seven-ish years and rarely rate recipes, although I've tried probably close to 100 from this site. This chowder is divine. Changes: tripled the veggies, cooked for about 45 mins because I like a real soft vegetable consistency, used tilapia instead of conch. This is a very special chowder and will truly wow any self respecting lover of delicious food. Try it!-26 Jan 2014
by MaryAnne DePoorter Barrett
We had this at our Gourmet Dinner Club on Saturday. She switched shrimp & talapia for the seafood. It was FABULOUS-28 Feb 2011