- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Spicy chicken
One of the spicer curries! Serve on a bed of rice and sprinkle over the freshly chopped coriander.
135 people made this
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 dried chillies
- 4 tablespoons chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 12 fresh chillies, minced (see footnote)
- oil for frying
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Dry roast the cumin seeds and dry chilli peppers in a frying pan. Then grind into a powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Combine with the chilli powder and garam masala. Then add lemon juice, salt and pepper to make a paste.
- Pound the garlic, ginger and fresh chillies together.
- in a large frying pan or casserole pot, heat the oil and fry the chicken and onions together.
- When the chicken is half cooked add the paste and the garlic, ginger and chilli mixture together; fry for one more minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, lower the heat and simmer until cooked through and thickened.
- Serve with the freshly chopped coriander and rice.
If you want less heat, de-seed the chillies before using them in this recipe. Also, feel free to use fewer chillies if you're concerned about the heat!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(14)
Reviews in English (13)
It is a phall curry, it is supposed to be hot!!!-19 Sep 2011
Altered ingredient amounts.Add a small amount of Fenagreek.-16 Feb 2009
Changed a few things but still stuck to the core of the recipe. I used 4 dried Nagas and around 8 Birds eye chillies. Halved the Chilli powder (2 tablespoons). Oh yes depite halving the chilli powder, half a lemon was nowhere near enough to make a paste. Used a whole lemon plus a few squirts of lemon juice. Brilliant taste, cracking heat (nose runner) but without the heat ruining the flavour or my mouth for the next six months. Can be made hotter or cooler. depends on you but for me it was pretty much bang on-22 Jun 2012