We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Brown bread
- Wholemeal bread
Nice soft wholemeal bread with added grains. Vital wheat gluten is also known as gluten flour.
46 people made this
- 420ml warm water (43 degrees C)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 725g stone-ground wholemeal flour
- 6 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon quinoa
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
MethodPrep:1hr ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:45min rising › Ready in:2hr15min
- Pour warm water and honey into a large bowl, and stir to dissolve the honey. Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the liquid, and let stand until the yeast bubbles and forms a creamy layer, about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together the wholemeal flour, gluten, flax seeds, flax meal, rolled oats, sesame seeds, quinoa, sunflower seeds and salt until the seeds are dispersed evenly. Pour the flour mixture into the yeast mixture, add the coconut oil, and mix everything together. Scoop the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and springy, about 15 minutes. Allow dough to rest for 15 minutes, then knead for another 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball, place in an oiled bowl, and turn the dough over several times to coat with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Grease two 900g (2 lb) loaf tins. Punch down the dough, and cut into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a loaf, place into the loaf tins, seam sides down, and cover the pans with cling film. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Bake the loaves in the preheated oven until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans about 10 minutes before turning out to finish cooling on racks.
In place of honey, you can also use treacle or dark brown soft sugar.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(42)
Reviews in English (38)
by Karli Joanne
So delicious!! I couldn't find vital wheat gluten, so I omitted it, but it turned out great anyway. I also added more water in the kneading process. Great recipe, thanks for sharing!-05 May 2010
This is great bread! I had to make some omissions based on what I had handy (no sesame, sunflower seeds or coconut oil. I tossed in some wheat germ instead - otherwise followed the recipe except for the shape...I got 6 sandwich rolls and 1 large bunny loaf out of this. Thanks for the recipe!-28 Mar 2010
One detail: If you've had breast cancer that was estrogen-receptor positive, you should avoid flax seed and flax meal. Either leave them out, or add more of the other seeds.-19 Jun 2010