We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
This recipe is a basis for many combinations, I have given a few you can use. Choose your favourite or experiment with other ingredients.
County Dublin, Ireland
1600 people made this
- 225g butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
- ground spices or finely grated zest (optional, see below)
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:25min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl or in a food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and spices or grated zest (if using) and bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Using your hands,roll the dough into walnut-size balls and place them slightly apart on a baking tray. Flatten them slightly and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until they are a light golden brown and slightly firm on top.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Poppy seed: Add 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds to the flour.
Lemon: Add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon to the flour.
Orange: Add the finely grated zest of 1 orange to the flour.
White chocolate and orange: Dip the tops of the orange cookies in 50g of melted white chocolate, then allow to set on greaseproof paper.
Spices (cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger): Add 1 teaspoon of a ground spice to the flour.
Double chocolate chip: Use 250g plain flour and add 50g sifted cocoa powder to the flour. Bring the dough together and mix in 125g dark or white chocolate chips.
Always remove cookies from their trays while still warm otherwise they will stick.
Roll leftover dough into a log shape, then leave in fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to a couple of months. To bake, cut off slices about 1cm thick and cool on a baking tray in a preheated oven
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(66)
Reviews in English (66)
fab recipe, i added a chopped up snickers bar and they tasted amazing! Helen xxx-17 Nov 2011
I love this recipe! It's so good! When I made it the cookies were soft and crumbly, but that made them better!I also used Lemon Zest in them, and it made them even better! USE USE USE!-16 Aug 2011
Realy easy to make and taste great, I left mine plain as my daughter likes them plain, I might try adding some other tastes next time-01 Dec 2011